Six Tips To Protect Yourself!
Marriot International, one of the world’s largest hotel chains, announced a massive cybersecurity breach that collected personal information from about 500 million of their Starwood hotel guests. Further investigation proved that there has been unauthorized access to the Starwood guest reservation network dating back to 2014. The exposed information – including names, credit card numbers and their expiration dates, phone numbers, email addresses, and passport numbers – could easily be used to steal someone’s identity to open bank accounts, credit cards, loans, and more. In the wake of this huge data breach, we are reminded to take precautions to protect ourselves from cyber criminals.
Follow these easy tips:
- Use strong and complex passwords, especially for sites that house personal information.
- Avoid saving credit card information on websites.
- Enroll in ID Enforcer,1 a fraud and credit monitoring service available to LAPFCU members with exclusive member discounts.
- Set up email or text message alerts on PATROL Online Banking or the LAPFCU app2 to help monitor activity and catch suspicious activity right away.
- Notify LAPFCU and all other financial institutions used when you travel to avoid blocked transactions as spending patterns change during trips.
- Update PATROL Online Banking or the app with your current phone number and email address, so we can contact you when suspicious activity is detected.
Additionally, be proactive by pulling your credit yearly and whenever you feel your private information has been compromised. Monitor your credit at annualcreditreport.com. If you have an LAPFCU loan, you can view your credit score for free in PATROL or on our app.
For more information, or if you think you’re a victim of fraud, call us immediately at 877-MY-LAPFCU or (877-695-2732).
1ID Enforcer is not insured by the NCUA or any other government agency, is not Credit Union guaranteed, is not a deposit, and is not a condition to any banking service or activity. ID Enforcer is a service provided by CyberScoutTM (“CyberScout”).CyberScout may modify or improve any part of the service at any time and without prior notice. This service is not a credit counseling service and does not promise to help you obtain a loan or improve your credit record, history or rating. Restrictions apply. For additional information, visit lapfcu.org/idenforcer.
2Standard data usage rates may apply. Consult your provider for more details. 1218-05